Here are some of the ways dyslexia and the work of DFNZ have been in the news:
14 November 2018 - NCEA injustice: Huge gaps in reader-writer assistance
Up to a third of students at some schools are getting someone else to read and write their exams for them - but students needing help at many poorer schools are missing out. Click here
14 November 2018 - Struggling to learn: 'It's like coming out of the fog, you can see each child clearly'
The final part of our three-part series on children who are "wired differently" asks: How can we do better? Click here
13 November 2018 - Struggling to learn: Brain science reveals why some kids learn differently
Scientists have found that some people's brains really are "wired differently" from others. Part two of a three-part series on why our schools are struggling to cope with children who are wired differently. Click here
12 November 2018 - Struggling to learn: kids who learn differently struggle in schools
A three-part Herald series starting today investigates why schools are struggling to cope with kids who are "wired differently". Tomorrow we report on the brain science of learning differences, and on Wednesday we ask how we could do better. Click here
||30 March 2018 - 'People thought I was dumb' - school established to encourage children with dyslexia to thrive
A teacher who started her own school for children with dyslexia is asking why it was her responsibility to establish it when countries all over the world have similar specialised schools set up.
||5 October 2017 - Hundreds more Kiwi students applying for exam help every year
More students could receive special assistance to sit exams this year than ever before, with applications open until the end of October.
||4 July 2017 - Settlement reached in Roller Derby discrimination complaint
A roller derby competitor who claims she was subject to discrimination because of her hearing loss and dyslexia has received a settlement of more than $4000, belated national team jerseys, and an apology for comments made by the coach of the New Zealand Roller Derby Team.
||3 March 2017 - Learning disabled students at low-decile schools missing out on exam help
Disabled students at low-decile schools are missing out on exam help despite increased availability, figures released by the New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA) show.
||22 November 2016 - Disability support in schools 'too weak'
Recommendations from a parliamentary inquiry into support for students with learning disabilities are "just lip service," according to an advocacy group.
||25 May 2016 - Government urged to get a move on with youth court review
Youth law advocates & academics are calling on the government to move ahead swiftly to raise the youth court age to 18.
||14 May 2016 - Neuro kids on the block
Our next Children's Commissioner takes up his job next month, bringing to it perspectives he has long honed as Principal Youth Court Judge.
||13 May 2016 - System 'set up to fail' people with neuro-disabilities
Amidst calls for inmates to be screened for neuro-disabilities, a woman has told Nine to Noon how her grandson, who suffers from Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder, was jailed as a teenager.
||13 May 2016 - Youth justice age of 17 'enduring stain' on New Zealand's otherwise good record
New Zealand's youth justice age of 17 stands "as an enduring stain on New Zealand's otherwise good youth justice record," says the Principal Youth Court Judge.
||13 May 2016 - Prevalence of neurodevelopment disorders 'Sky High'
The prevalence rates of neurodevelopment disorders amongst youth offenders are ‘sky high’, Principal Youth Court Judge Andrew Becroft told the 2016 Neurodisabilities Forum in Wellington today.
||12 May 2016 - Neurologically disabled overrepresented in prison
A Wellington forum has been told if we're going to address serious youth offending in New Zealand we need to pay more attention to the "invisible presence" in our courts.
||March 2016 - Learning differences in a nutshell
Academics agree that the single most common characteristic of dyslexia is a problem with reading and/or spelling.
||26 November 2015 - Nelson's Adult Learning Support to talk to select committee about dyslexia
The organisers of a Nelson-run dyslexia course are going to present information to Parliament about the needs of adults with the condition. Click here
25 November 2015 - Inside story: The sweet spell of success
School doesn't always bring back happy memories for those with dyslexia, but as ANNEMARIE QUILL discovers, with the right support, dyslexic people can achieve. Click here
||12 November 2015 - Special needs support 'a complete failure'
Head of the Early Childhood Council Peter Reynolds has delivered a blistering attack on the Education Ministry's lack of support for under 5s with special needs. Click here
||12 November 2015 - Learning disorder heartbreak shared with MPs
MPs are hearing first-hand the heartbreak learning disorders cause for children and their parents, as they consider how schools identify and help such children. Click here
11 November 2015 - Dyslexic students pack out inquiry to send message to MPs
More than 20 Kapiti College students have packed out a select committee room to tell the Government how the education system failed them. Click here
10 November 2015 - Hope comes to parents helping children with the 'heartbreak' of dyslexia
The country's first book on dyslexia aims to decode and demystify a "heartbreaking" issue. Click here
6 November 2015 - Mark Brace: Dyslexia in our classrooms
It is quite possible that there are students in my classroom of five- and six-year-olds that display learning behaviours resembling dyslexia. But I remain deliberately equivocal about my assessment of these children, for two reasons. Click here
4 November 2015 - Dyslexics ignored by the ignorant
A parliamentary inquiry has been told that dyslexia and other learning difficulties are often completely missed by teachers, with expensive tests required for any specialised help. Click here
3 November 2015 - 'Systemic barriers' holding dyslexic kids back
A parliamentary education inquiry has heard how "systemic barriers" hold back students with learning differences from receiving extra help. Click here
November 2015 - Young Country: Dyslexic difference
After 34 years of struggling with reading and writing, a diagnosis of dyslexia came as a huge relief to Golden Bay dairy farmer Kirk Harcourt. Click here
||13 May 2015 - Teens with learning difficulties
missing out after rule changes
STUDENTS needing the most help sitting exams are the ones missing
out after the New Zealand Qualifications Authority changed its rules. Click here
||20 March 2015 - School News: the essential information for school industry professionals
Features dyslexia advocacy week in its latest issue, including information on accommodating needs through technology. Click here
||19 March 2015 - Fuseworks Media: DFNZ calls for increase to 'unjust' youth court age
Dyslexia Foundation of New Zealand (DFNZ) is calling for an increase to the Youth Court age to help ensure dyslexic youth are not entrapped in a system that treats them unfairly as adults. Click here
||19 March 2015 - Nine to Noon: Chief Youth Court Judge Andrew Becroft discusses the link between youth offending and learning difficulties. Guy Pope-Mayell is the chairman of the Dyslexia Foundation of New Zealand. Listen here
19 March 2015 - Rodney Times: Dyslexics need more help
An estimated one in 10 New Zealanders are dyslexic, including more than 70,000 school children, an issue being highlighted by Dyslexia Advocacy Week. Click Here
||18 March 2015 - Te Karere: King's College and the wonderful advocate David Ward were interviewed as part of dyslexia advocacy week, Kapa Haka and the great work they do. Watch Here
17 March 2015 - TVNZ Breakfast: Parenting by the Stars
Parenting By The Stars is a new book helping to raise money and awareness for Dyslexia Advocacy Week. Watch Now
16 March 2015 - Christchurch Press: 'Systemic discrimination' in dyslexia support
Although the region leads the way in providing support, advocates says huge inequalities remain between high and low decile schools. Click here
15 March 2015 - Sunday Star Times: Dyslexia a struggle for successful chef
Food Truck chef Michael Van de Elzen has struggled with mild dyslexia all his life. Click here
15 March 2015 - Newstalk ZB: Andrew Dickens interviews Guy Pope-Mayell, Chair of Trustees [13mins]
Covering Parenting by the Stars book launch, SACs in the Education system, and how the Justice system might better accomodate those that are vulnerable. Listen here
14 March - 2015 - TV3 News: Government criticised for special needs failures
Campaigners say the Ministry of Education has failed to deliver on its promise to help students with learning difficulties in low decile schools. Watch here
||13 March 2015 - Hauraki Herald: Stars align with Waihi pair to help parents. Read here
Click here for more New Zealand media archives
- 22 November 2014 - Stuff.co.nz - Endless disorders a 'nightmare' for schools. Click here
- 18 November 2014 - 3news.co.nz - Dyslexia no barrier to speech competition. Click here
- 16 August 2014 - tvnz.co.nz - Specialised help for children with dyslexia pays dividends. Click here
- 7 May 2014 - 3news.co.nz - Young Kiwi builds rally car in Coromande barn. Click here
- 9 May 2014 - Otago Daily Times - Helping provide 'write' support. Click here
- 27 April 2014 - Stuff.co.nz - Boxing a blueprint for less crime. Click here
- 23 April 2014 - Otago Daily Times - Technology solution to be tested. Click here
- 23 April 2014 - Otago Daily Times - Push for extra help in low-decile schools. Click here
- 20 March 2014 - Dominion Post - Learning to be less of a trial for dyslexic pupil. Click here
- 17 March 2014 - Radio NZ - More students with learning problems will access exam help. Click here
- 25 Feb 2014 - Radio NZ - School disagrees with court decision. Click here
- 24 Feb 2014 - Nzherald.co.nz - Judge quashes school's decision to exclude student. Click here
- 23 Jan 2013 - Yahoo News - Issues to face before teaching leadership can succeed - DFNZ. Click here
- 23 Jan 2013 - Stuff.co.nz - Winning the battle against dyslexia. Click here
- 21 Jan 2013 - Breakfast News - Neil MacKay - UK Dyslexia Expert. Click here
- 21 Jan 2013 - Breakfast News - Raewyn Saunders - Parent & Principal. Click here
- 27 Nov 2013 - Stuff.co.nz - Dyslexic children advancing so fast. Click here
- 252 Sept 2013 - Stuff.co.nz - Dyslexia inspires Matt to help others. Click here
- 22 Aug 2013 - Stuff.co.nz - Reading on the cheap. Click here
- 15 Aug 2013 - Lakes District & Central Otago News - Dyslexia support group forming. Click here
- 20 July 2013 - Odt.co.nz - Otago, Canty pupils ahead in SAC support. Click here
- 3 July 2013 - Manawatu Standard - Review of funds for learning disabled. Click here
- 25 June 2013 - Manawatu Standard - Finding learning issues early could prevent crime. Click here
- 22 June 2013 - Manawatu Standard - Rich kids more special. Click here
- 5 June 2013 - South Canterbury Herald - New facts about dyslexia. Click here
- 7 May 2013 - Odt.co.nz - First NZ public showing for dyslexia film. Click here
- 3 April 2013 - Newswire.co.nz - Dyslexic learners challenging education for support. Click here
- 15 February 2013 - Word Up. Click here
- 1 February 2013 - Principals Today - Sac Costs under the spotlight. Click here
- 4 January 2013 - www.stuff.co.nz - Dyslexia no bar to fame. Click here
- 11 December 2012 - www.beehive.govt.nz - International studies show changes must be made to improve education outcomes. Click here
- 21 Sept 2012 - Stuff.co.nz - Dyslexics denied exam aid. Click here
- 19 Sept 2012 - Bayofplentytimes.co.nz - Researchers predict reading skill. Click here
- 16 Sept 2012 - Voxy.co.nz - Test predicts children's school first year reading success. Click here
- 9 Sept 2012 - Nzherald.co.nz - Jamie cooks up nearly $250 million in book sales. Click here
- 28 June 2012 - Newstalkzb.co.nz - Dyslexia foundation hits out at money excuse. Click here
- 19 May 2012 - Stuff.co.nz - Family's literacy program bringing in bucks. Click here
- 16 November 2011 - Stuff.co.nz - Actor triumphs over dyslexia. Click here
- 11 November 2011 - Stuff.co.nz - Educator awarded for dyslexia study. Click here
- 9 November 2011 - Northern Advocate - People's Choice Award: Jason Barrell. Click here
- 1 November 2011 - New Zealand Herald - Redundancy means librarian denied chance to share skills. Click here
- 1 August 2011 - Radio NZ - Chairperson of SPELD New Zealand, Marion Fairbrass discusses whetherchildren with
learning difficulties are falling through the cracks of our schooling system. Click here
- 15 March 2011 - Brisbane Times - Scanning the brain to fight dyslexia. Click here
- 10 March 2011 - Lakes District & Central Otago News - Strategies help pupils to learn. Click here
- 10 March 2011 - Lakes District & Central Otago News - Numbers of dyslexia-friendly schools on the increase. Click here
- 13 January 2011 - www.scoop.co.nz - Cookie Time Charitable Trust Approaches $1.5M Mark. Click here.
- 11 January 2011 - Stuff.co.nz - Dismantling dyslexia. Click here.
- 19 December 2010 - NZherald - Success with dyslexia. Click here.
- 3 December 2010 - Rotorua Bay of Plenty - Time to support dyslexia group. Click here.
- 25 November 2010 - Scoop.co.nz - Creating Positive Change with Christmas Cookies!. Click here.
- 24 November 2010 - Stuff.co.nz - Chic charity clicks. Click here.
- Sept/Oct 2010 - The Shed Magazine - Dyslexia: a way of thinking.Click here.
- October 11, 2010 - Timaru Herald - Beating literacy barriers.Click here.
- August 13, 2010 - TVNZ Close Up - Raising Australia's hopes over dyslexia.Click here.
- July 2010 - Her Magazine - Spelling it Out workplace article.Click here.
- June 11, 2010 - Bay of Plenty Times - Lessons learnt from teaching dyslexic children.Click here.
- 2010 - School News Term 2, 2010 Issue 10 - In search for magic bullets.Click here.
- June 7, 2010 - NZ Herald - Arise, Sir Mad Butcher. Click here.
- June 7, 2010 - ODT - Knighthood as striking blow for working class - Sir Peter.Click here.
- June 7, 2010 - NZ Herald - Extra-special prize for special-effects king.Click here.
- June 6, 2010 - Voxy: Giving Dyslexic Children "Permission" to Learn Differently.Click here.
- June 5, 2010 - Kim Hill interviews Neil MacKay - Dyslexia as a learning preference - 4D. Click here.
- June 5, 2010 - Southland Times - Dyslexics need exams "tweaked".Click here.
- June 3, 2010 - Voxy - Autism a Learning Preference, Not a disability says international educationalist.Click here.
- June, 2010 - Neil Mackay - Inclusion for Dyslexia and ASD – complementary sides of the same coin?.Click here.
- June, 2010 - Employment Today: Dyslexia at work.Click here.
- May 31, 2010 - Breakfast TV: Interview about 4D School Program.Click here.
- May 26, 2010 - Mountain Scene, Queenstown - Neil MacKay "Making the connection with dyslexia.Click here.
- May 24, 2010 - Eduvac: Feature on dyslexia.Click here.
- May 21, 2010 - NBR: Dyslexia an opportunity - not a disability.Click here.
- May 8-14, 2010 - Letters to the editor - Listner article. Click here.
- May 8-14, 2010 - Listener Article - Dyslexia: Unlocking the secrets - In their right mind.Click here.
- May 6, 2010 - Bay of Plenty Times - Parents urged to watch for dyslexic 'car wreck'.Click here.
- February 8, 2010 - Edgazette, Driving the National Curriculum Through Inclusion. Click here.
- January 26, 2010 - Edgazette, Meeting individual needs. Click here.
- January 7, 2010 - Dyslexia study calls for keen participants. Click here.
- December, 2009 - Next, A life misread. Click here.
- November 11, 2009 - Manawatu Standard, Worldly take on dyslexia. Click here.
- October 31, 2009 - The Southland Times, Call for dyslexia screening in schools. Click here.
- June, 2009 - North & South, The Dyslexia Difference. Click here.
- June 25, 2009 - Canterbury TV - Goodliving. Click Here.
- June 23, 2009 - Taranaki Daily News - Children with dyslexia 'casualties of school'. Click here.
- June 22, 2009 - Telegraph.co.uk - Children to be monitored for dyslexia under £10m plan. Click here.
- June 22, 2009 - Manawatu Standard - A different way of thinking. Click here.
- June 20, 2009 - Timaru Herald - Long Battle to be understood. Click here.
- June 19, 2009 - East And Bays Courier - Breaking down learning barriers. Click here.
- June 18, 2009 - North Shore Times, Son’s condition inspires dad’s art. Click here.
- June 17, 2009 - Plains FM interview with Guy Pope-Mayell. Click here to listen.
- June 17, 2009 - National Radio, Nine to Noon interview with Neil Mackay. Click here to listen.
- June 17, 2009 - Access Radio Wellington interview with Neil Mackay. Click here to listen.
- June 16, 2009 - Newstalk ZB – Rethink needed for dyslexia students. Click Here.
- June 16, 2009 - Plains FM interview with Neil Mackay. Click here to listen.
- June 16, 2009 - ODT - Dyslexics at risk early. Click Here.
- June 15, 2009 - bFM interview with Guy Pope-Mayell. Click here to listen.
- June 15, 2009 - TVNZ Breakfast interview with Guy Pope-Mayell. Click Here.
- June 15, 2009 - NZ Herald - Teachers sign up for course on dyslexia. Click Here.
- June 15, 2009 - Canterbury TV - Goodliving. Click Here.
- June 15, 2009 - Dunedin TV - Ch 9 - Dyslexia Action Week begins. Click Here.
- June 11, 2009 - 3News - Musicians get creative for dyslexia week. Click Here. For Video click here.
- June 11, 2009 - NZ Herald - Song for the one in ten. Click Here.
- June 11, 2009 - The Golden Bay Weekly - Dyslexia Action Week: new resources are working. Click Here.
- June 10, 2009 - The Mirror - Awareness Key. Click Here.
- 14 May, 2009 - The Dominion Post - Dyslexia in the spotlight. Click Here.
- 9 May, 2009 - The Dominion Post - Cadbury chewed out over poster. Click Here.
- 9 May, 2009 - Scoop - From Trouble to Top Apprentice. Click Here.
- 12 March, 2009 - HealthDay News - Brain Scans Shed Light on Dyslexia. Click Here.
- 11 March, 2009 - Otago Daily Times - Dyslexic learner spreads his method of education. Click Here.
- 24 February, 2009 - Scoop - Dyslexia Correction Breakthrough. Click Here.
- 20 January, 2009 - North Shore Times - Right diagnosis puts Johann on track. Click Here.
- January, 2009 - Australian News - New law will aid kids with dyslexia. Click Here.
- 13 January, 2009 - The Dominion Post - Guidelines to help pupils' literacy rate. Click Here.
- 13 January, 2009 - The Press - Remedial methods 'outdated'. Click Here.
- 28 November, 2008 - Radio NZ News - Prisoner literacy much worse than previously thought. Click Here.
- 28 November, 2008 - Radio NZ - Corrections department accuses of under reporting. Listen to the radio article click here.
- 12 November, 2008 - Northern Advocate - Donation gives help to dyslexic learners. Click Here
- 11 November, 2008 - Wairarapa Times - Family holiday job takes the biscuit . Click Here
- October, 2008 - Employment Today - Dealing with dyslexia. Click Here
- 24 October, 2008 - The Press - Dyslexia time bomb ticking. Click Here
- 1 October, 2008 - Bay Habour News - The art of paying it forward. Click Here
- 18 August, 2008 - Scoop - Christchurch garden wins 2008 Landscaping Award. Click Here
- 14 August, 2008 - Daily Post - 1 in 3 of our kids can't read So who's to blame?. Click Here
- 7 August, 2008 - Munch money. Click Here
- 5 August, 2008 - Hauraki Herald - Dyslexia Specialist Share Her Experience with Student. Click Here
- 4 August, 2008 - Education Weekly - Not enough done to bridge NZ's reading gap. Click Here
- 2 August, 2008 - Otago Daily Times - Dyslexia 'affects self-esteem', funding urged. Click Here
- 30 July, 2008 - Cambridge Edition - School back dyslexia efforts. Click Here
- 29 July, 2008 - Marlborough Express - Room One project wins school $2000. Click Here
- 21 July, 2008 - News Line - Disney Buys Taare Zameen Par distribution rights. Click Here
- 23 June, 2008 - Education Weekly - Teachers want dyslexic funding. Click Here
- 23 June, 2008 - NZ Herald - Oscar winner wades into dyslexia row. Click Here
- 21 June, 2008 - Weta Workshop -Dyslexia can be a “Blessing in disguise". Click Here
- 20 June, 2008 - Northern Advocate - Not Taken As Read. Click Here
- 20 June, 2008 - North Shore Times - Dyslexia help turns Luke's life around. Click Here
- 19 June, 2008 - Fighting dyslexia with boxing - TV3. Click Here
- 19 June, 2008 - Parents Centres Calls On Government To Act On Dyslexia. Click Here
- 19 June, 2008 - Dyslexia group can't get excited over Carter offer. Click Here
- 16 June, 2008 - Education Weekly Dyslexia Edition. Click Here
- 16 June, 2008 - The Dominion Post - Gift of dyslexia still a burden for many. Click Here
- 16 June, 2008 - The Dominion Post - True grit overcomes problems of dyslexia. Click Here
- 16 June, 2008 - The Press - Teachers back urgent calls for more funding. Click Here
- 14 June, 2008 - The Press - Dyslexia's challenges and gifts. Click Here
- 14 June, 2008 - NZ Herald - Opening the door to joy of words. Click Here
- 13 June, 2008 - Press Release:DFNZ - Teachers want funding for dyslexic students. Click Here
- 13 June, 2008 - Christchurch Press - School fail dyslexic learners. Click Here
- 12 June, 2008 - I’m really not stupid, mum. Click Here
- 12 June, 2008 - The Timaru Herald - Diagnosis gives huge relief. Click Here
- 10 June, 2008 - Schools boycott Labour's big plan. Click Here
- 10 June 2008 - Southland Times - Cromwell teacher researches dyslexia. Click Here
- 5 June 2008 - Gisborne Herald - Breakthrough' in treatment of dyslexia. Click Here
- 31 May 2008 - Christchurch Press - Diverse reasons for learning difficulties. Click Here
- 23 May 2008 - The Daily Post - 4D enables 3Rs for dyslexic students. Click Here
- 14 May 2008 - Christchurch Mail - Cashmere takes stand on dyslexia. Click Here
- May 2008 - Mahurangi Matters - Dyslexia Week aims to raise awareness. Click Here
- 19 May 2008 - Times Online- Action needed for dyslexics. Click Here
- 10 May 2008 - NZ Herald - Mad Butcher's Rollercoaster Ride Through Life as a Zany Kiwi Legend. Click Here
- 7 May 2008 - UK Press - Dyslexic Focus in School Review. Click Here
- 6 May 2008 - Education Guardian - Review of Dyslexia Provision for Children Announced. Click Here
- 5 May, 2008 - Christchurch Press – Computer program combats dyslexia. Click Here
- 30 April, 2008 - East & Bays Courier – Making sense of learning. Click Here
- 23 April, 2008 - Christchurch Mail Waimairi – Exhibit wins award. Click Here
- 10 April, 2008 - Metropol – Author in Christchurch to present inspiring new perspective on "learning disabilities". Click Here
- 17 April, 2008 - Liverpool Echo – Hi tech lifeline for kids with dyslexia. Click Here
- 15 April, 2008 - The Dominion Post - Bad maths may be a disability. Click Here
- 15 April, 2008 - Christchurch Press - Form of dyslexia for numbers researched. Click Here
- 8 April, 2008 - Dyslexia Differs by Language. Click Here
- 21 March, 2008 - TV3 News - Te Papa wishing to display works of NZ inventor Colin Murdoch. Click here
- 11 March, 2008 - Bay of Plenty Times - 1500 kids with problems to get help. Click Here
- 09 March, 2008 - Sunday Star Times - Jackie Stewart still a canny character. Click Here
- 27th February, 2008 - The Press - Dyslexia sculpture garden up for award. Click Here
- 25 February, 2008 - The Age - Melbourne - Let's define 'learning disabilities' at last. Click Here
- 16 January, 2008 - Capital Times - New course for teachers. Click Here
- 5 January, 2008 - Otago Daily Times - Artist's works highlight dyslexia. Click Here
- 11 January, 2008 - The Dominion Post - NZ 'failing kids who struggle to learn'. Click Here
- 16 December, 2007 - Sunday Star Times - Quality of new teachers on Carter's 'crack it' list. Click Here
- 01 December, 2007 - The Press - Age of dys-order. Click Here
- 01 December, 2007 - Nelson Mail - Seeing the big picture. Click Here
- 18 November, 2007 - TV3 - Support for dyslexics at school a possibility. Click Here
- October, 2007 - Dyslexia seen as an ‘instructional dysfunction’ rather than a disability - Click Here
- 11 September, 2007 - Gisborne Herald, Shedding new light on how dyslexic children
can learn. Click Here
- 28 August, 2007 - The UK Press, Dyslexic police inspector wins ruling he is disabled. Click Here
- 8 August, 2007 - The Press, Schools drop literacy tool. Click Here
- 26 April, 2007 - Parent Centre, Dyslexia Exhibit Launch. Click Here
- 23 April, 2007 - Times Online, Recognition of dyslexia big breakthrough. Click Here
- 23 April, 2007 - The Daily Post, New foundation highlights dyslexia. Click Here
- 21 April, 2007 - The Northern Advocate, Recognition brings new hope for dyslexics. Click Here
- 20 April, 2007 - The NZ Herald, Govt finally accepts dyslexia exists. Click Here
- 20 April, 2007 - Scoop, Work of Parents, Advocates on Dyslexia Commended. Click Here
- 12 August, 2006 - Listener article "Lost for Words". Click Here
A sample of latest international stories and research about dyslexia:
- May 08, 2013 - Medicaldaily.com - Dyslexia Sex Differences: Female Brains Are Wired Differently. Click here
- May 08, 2013 - Medicaldaily.com - Dyslexia Sex Differences: Female Brains Are Wired Differently. Click here
- Oct 14, 2012 - Examiner.com - One father's voice: 'There is a reason why a child has dyslexia'. Click here
- Sept 26, 2012 - BBC.com - OpenDyslexic font gains ground with help of Instapaper. Click here
- Sept 24, 2012 - Portsmouth.co.uk - Gary aims to help dyslexic web users with app. Click here
- Sept 5, 2012 - Independent.co.uk - Anna Karenina stars are proof that dyslexia is no bar to creativity. Click here
- July 28, 2012 - healthnewsdigest.com - Deaf Children, Language Skills - Surprising Insights From Study. Click here
- June 27, 2012 - edexec.co.uk - Dyslexia affects one in 10 pupils. British Dyslexia Association launches video campaign to get it on the teacher training curriculum. Click here
- June 27, 2012 - bbc.co.uk - Dyslexia training for teachers needed, charity says. Click here
- May 31, 2012 - prweb.com - Filmmaker Harvey Hubbell V Unveiling Dislecksia: The Movie. Click here
- May 30, 2012 - kvsun.com - Dyslexia independent of IQ. Click here
- March 29, 2012 - vcstar.com - Local composer bridges generation gap through music. Click here
- March 14, 2012 - nj.com - Dyslexia: Translating Scientific Progress into Policy and Practice — It's Time!. Click here
- March 14, 2012 - thisisgloucestershire.co.uk - Pupils book themselves into future in publishing. Click here
- February 2012 - Dyslexia.yale.edu - Dr. Eric Tridas Named President of International Dyslexia Association. Click here
- 4 February 2012 - Nytimes.com - The Upside of Dyslexia. Click here
- 2 February 2012 - Dc.citybizlist.com - More students going to college with learning challenges. Click here
- 26 January 2012 - wkyc.com - More students going to college with learning challenges. Click here
- 25 January 2012 - Babycenter.com - Brain scans detect early dyslexia signs. Click here
- 24 January 2012 - Parenting.blogs.nytimes.com- Apps for Children With Dyslexia. Click here
- 20 January 2012 - The Carpetbagger - A Dyslexia Film and a Director's Family. Click here
- 5 January 2012 - Modernmedicine.com - Reading skills in children with dyslexia not linked to IQ scores. Click here
- 5 January 2012 - Thisiswiltshire.co.uk - School art officer's anthology boost. Click here
- 3 January 2012 - Mediplacements.com - Problems in hearing underlies dyslexia. Click here
- 30 December 2011 - Thesun.co.uk - HE'S the heart-throb introducing thousands of women to Charles Dickens. Click here
- 28 December 2011 - Tennessean.com - Dyslexics seldom get needed help. Click here
- 24 December 2011 - Medindia.net - Dyslexia Underlined by Abnormality in Auditory Processing. Click here
- 22 December 2011 - Desmoinesregister.com - Dyslexia missing from student literacy push. Click here
- 21 December 2011 - Montgomerynews.com - Center School founders receive Visionary Service Award. Click here
- 20 November 2011 - Telegraph.co.uk - Dyslexia may explain my school failure, says Annabel Heseltine. Click here
- 14 November 2011 - AEIvideos - Dyslexia and Imagination: An Interview with Paleontologist Jack Horner. Click here
- 1 November 2011 - Edinburgh Evening News - Celebrities share dyslexia experiences in new book. Click here
- 1 November 2011 - Telegraph.co.uk - Sally Gardner: Dyslexia is not a disease. Click here
- 31 October 2011 - STV Local - Dyslexia Awareness Week kicks off. Click here
- 18 October 2011 - BBC - Dyslexic boy wins right to challenge education board. Click here
- 17 October 2011 -WNYC - Wrestling with Words: Poet Philip Schultz Talks about Dyslexia. Click here
- 28 September 2011 - EurekAlert - Stanford brain imaging study shows physiological basis of dyslexia. Click here
- 26 September 2011 - Evening Standard - I couldn't read until I was 10, says CBeebies presenter Cerrie Burnell. Click here
- 23 September 2011 - Gulfnews.com - Motorcycle diaries. Click here
- 20 September 2011 - Wired News - The Unappreciated Benefits of Dyslexia. Click here
- 15 September 2011 - The Guardian - Henry Winkler gets honorary OBE for helping dyslexic children in UK. Click here
- 14 September 2011 - New York Times - Words Failed, Then Saved Me. Click here
- 3 September 2011 - The South End - Singer, social activist Harry Belafonte speaks at WSU. Click here
- 22 August 2011 - Irish Times - Growing up with undiagnosed dyslexia gets Aidan Bishop good word of mouth. Click here
- 18 August 2011 - Straight.com - Shad gives a voice to his hip-hop generation. Click here
- 1 August 2011 - Evening Standard - Reading aloud in class broke my confidence, says chef Marco Pierre White. Click here
- 30 July 2011 - Red orbit - Study Claims Dyslexia Can Impair Voice Recognition. Click here
- 28 July 2011 - Boston Globe - People with dyslexia have a hard time recognizing voices. Click here
- 26 July, 2011 – New typeface helps people with dyslexia read. Click here
- 7 July, 2011 – huffingtonpost.com - 11 Celebrities with Dyslexia Who Made It Big. Click here
- 29 June, 2011 – News-Medical.net – Early musical interventions may benefit children with dyslexia having ... Click here
- 27 May, 2011 – Wooster Daily Record – House passes legislation for early detection,
assistance to children diagnosed with dyslexia. Click here
- 24 May, 2011 – Huffington Post (blog) – Trudie Styler on Living with ADHD and Dyslexia: Don't Give Up,
Do Reach Out. Click here
- 19 May, 2011 – Businessinsider.com – 15 CEOs With Learning Disabilities. Click here
- 12 May, 2011 – Sydney Morning Herald – Nice one, James Middleton. Click here
- 10 May, 2011 – Uticaod.com – Local firm's CEO discusses dyslexia on HBO. Click here
- 27 April, 2011 – Birmingham Mail – Brummie queen of pop Toyah Wilcox talks about her struggle with dyslexia. Click here
- 22 April, 2011 – Telegraph.co.uk – Joe Wright: 'There are no happy endings in my fairy tale'. Click here
- 30 March, 2011 – Danbury News Times – Connecticut Film Festival returns to Danbury. Click here
- 30 March, 2011 – Boston Globe – Conn. governor shares tales of dyslexia. Click here
- 29 March, 2011 – Evening Standard – How Lucian Freud's daughter beat dyslexia and rejection. Click here
- 23 March, 2011 – Belfast Telegraph – Winkler wants to move in with Queen. Click here
- 21 March, 2011 – Staines News – TV star Charley Boorman hosts Dyslexia webchat. Click here
- 16 March, 2011 – TheCelebrityCafe.com – Interview with Henry Winkler. Click here
- 4 March, 2011 – The Argus – Albion star's autobiography released. Click here
- 4 March, 2011 – Financial Times – The Inventory: Julia Peyton-Jones. Click here
- 28 February, 2011 – Scottish Daily Record – I had to beat dyslexia to top the charts, reveals singer Clare Maguire as she heads for Scotland. Click here
- 22 February, 2011 – Wiltshire Gazette and Herald – Calne pupils to be featured on BBC documentary. Click here
- 16 February, 2011 – scrippsnews.com – Owen-TV: 'Royal Pains' dad Henry Winkler talks about his dyslexia. Click here
- 12 February, 2011 – timescolonist.com –Canadian association says it's a myth that dyslexic people have a disability . Click here
- 10 February, 2011 – firstshowing.net – Wayne Wang to Helm Albert Einstein Biopic from Writer Ron Bass. Click here
- 9 February, 2011 – BBC News– 'Language gene' effect explored by Edinburgh scientists. Click here
- 27 January 2011 – top10hollywood.com – Orlando Bloom on Having Dyslexia. Click here
- 25 December 2010 – www.telegraph.co.uk – Jamie Oliver, the naked chef, opens up about family life. Click here
- 20 December 2010 – www.businessweek.com – Brain Imaging May Predict Dyslexia Gains. Click here
- 2 December 2010 – Jamie Oliver signs up celebrity teachers for experimental school. Click here
- 1 December 2010 – Hollywoodnews.com – New Disney channel star tackles dyslexia. Click here
- 24 November – Coventry Telegraph UK – Rugby legend Scott Quinnell to talk about his battle with dyslexia.
- 19 November – WAFF news US – Fried Green Tomatoes author struggled with dyslexia. Click here
- 17 November 2010 – Daily Mail UK – Middlesex University research: Did Leonardo da Vinci's dyslexia
help him to be a master painter? Click here
- 10 November 2001 – North Shore News Canada – Parent may take dyslexia fight to Supreme Court. Click here
- 5 November 2010 – businessweek.com – Research suggests link between ‘handedness’ and dyslexia. Click here
- 1 November 2010 – dash.com – How to spot the signs and support dyslexia employees, UK. Click here
- 1 November 2010 – Scottish Dyslexia Awareness Week – Artist breaks new ground with a paintings based on visual
concepts of dyslexia.Click here
- 14 October 2010 – Sir Ken Robinson - Changing Education Paradigms.... Click here
- 13 October – The Docklands, UK – Theo Paphitis of Dragon's Den fame talks of his battle with dyslexia.Click here
- October, 2010 - Accesshollywood.com - Orlando Bloom: ‘I’ve Learned To Live With’ & ‘Overcome’ My
Dyslexia Click here.
- 24 September 2010 – blogspot – Is the disability framework for understanding dyslexia actually harming
dyslexic interests rather than furthering them. Click here
- June 9, 2010 - Telegraph.co.uk - Annabel Heseltine: My family is riddled with dyslexia.Click here
- November 1, 2009 - My Park Magazine, Jamie Oliver hated school. Click here.
- October 26, 2009 - Independent, Teacher of the year award for dyslexic. Click here.
- October 25, 2009 - Dailyrecord, Formula One champ Jackie Stewart's prison penpal. Click here.
- August 31, 2009 - The Sydney Morning Herald, Reading affliction shrouded in mystery. Click here.
- August 10, 2009 - The Age, Invisible scourge. Click here.
- June 30, 2009 - The Sydney Morning Herald, Spelling it out for you. Click here.
- July 8, 2009 - Telegraph UK - Jamie Oliver writes furious twitter message to fan who criticised his spelling.
DFNZ periodically updates New Zealand media regarding dyslexia and dyslexia-relevant
news. Here are some examples of our media releases:
- 1 March, 2017 - Equity gap between low and high decile schools persists; government response fails to address
. Click here
- 22 November, 2016 - Government urged to implement minority report recommendations for dyslexia, autism and dyspraxia. Click here
- 30 May, 2016 - Government urged to take urgent action to address Neurodisabilities in justice system. Click here
- 12 May, 2016 - Principal youth court judge says prevalence of Neurodevelopment disorders ‘sky high’. Click here
- 11 May, 2016 - Principal youth court judge - keynote speaker for neurodisablities forum. Click here
- 19 March, 2015 - DFNZ Calls For Increase To "unjust" Youth Court Age. Click here
- 16 March, 2015 - Parenting By The Stars launches for Dyslexia Advocacy Week. Click here
- 10 March, 2015 - Ministry of Education focus on lower decile school fails to deliver SACs lift. Click Here
- 21 March, 2014 - Ongoing silence on sac funding as dfnz releases plain english s ummary of sac review Click Here
- 14 March, 2014 - SACs review places extra burdens on low decile schools and RTLBs - with no funding to match Click Here
- 10 March, 2014 - Time running out on SAC applications for 2014 exams. Click Here
- 21 Jan, 2014 - Problem must be named before leadership can succeed, says DFNZ.. Click Here
- 6 May, 2013 - DFNZ grassroots screening initiative makes Redford Big Picture documentary available nationwide. Click Here
- 22 January, 2013 - Upward trend on exam accomodations set to continue, says DFNZ. Click Here
- 2 January, 2013 - Stars align for New Zealand big picture premiere. Click Here
- 25 November, 2010 - Creating positive change with Christmas Cookies. Click Here
- 6 June, 2010 - Giving dyslexic children ‘permission’ to learn differently. Click Here
- 3 June, 2010 - Autism a learning preference, not a disability says international educationalist. Click Here
- 26 May, 2010 - Leading dyslexia expert to deliver workshop in Queenstown. Click Here
- 15 June, 2009 - Visiting expert: NZ schools put children on path to crime. Click Here
- 10 June, 2009 - NZ musicians join forces to raise awareness of dyslexia –
free downloads from tomorrow. Click Here
- 3 March, 2009 - International dyslexia expert to hold workshops for nz teachers. Click Here
- 28 November, 2008 - Dyslexia Foundation: new prison literacy statistics show negative impacts
of childhood learning issues. Click Here
- 16 October, 2008 - Dyslexia Foundation launches revolutionary guide for schools in face
of political inaction. Click Here
- 21 June, 2008 - Dyslexia can be a “Blessing in disguise". Click Here
- 18 June, 2008 - Government challenged to front up with dyslexia-specific funding. Click Here
- 13 June, 2008 - Survey shows NZ teachers want specific Government funding
for dyslexic students. Click Here To download the full Nielson report Click Here (1.2mb PDF)
- 13 May, 2008 - Dyslexia – it’s time to hear from the front line. Click Here
- 8 May, 2008 - 4D - paving the way for dyslexia friendly schools. Click Here
- 7 April, 2008 - Dyslexia exhibit transforms car park and wins landscape award. Click Here
- 17 October, 2007 - Australian moves to label dyslexia a disability miss’s point. Click Here
- 10 October, 2007 - DFNZ pleased with progress made by Ministry of Education. Click Here
- 29 April, 2007 - Dyslexia Foundation and Education Ministry plan next steps. Click Here
- 19 April, 2007 - Dyslexia Foundation celebrating Ministry of Education recognition of dyslexia.
- 19 March, 2007 - Walking length of New Zealand to raise money for dyslexia. Click Here
- 19 March, 2007 - High profile campaign to raise awareness and expose government policy flaws. Click Here
- 15 March, 2007 - Corporate generosity supports innovative new cookie aiming to raise
$100,000 dollars for dyslexia. Click Here
- 30 Nov, 2006 - Ruth Dyson throws support behind dyslexia Foundation. Click Here
- 29 Nov, 2006 - Fantastic support for new dyslexia Foundation being launched by Ruth Dyson. Click Here
The following media releases related to dyslexia have been issued by the Government:
- 20 June, 2009 - Address to the SPELD NZ National Conference . Click Here
- 10 October, 2007 - MOE starts dyslexia work programme . Click Here
- 29 April, 2007 - Dyslexia Foundation and Education Ministry plan next steps. Click Here
- Steve Maharey Interview - TVNZ Close Up 20 April, 2007. Click Here
- 19 April, 2007 - Ministry improves understanding of dyslexia. Click Here